Yesterday morning we heard the very sad news of Dadda's "Favorite Uncle Margaret" having passed away. She suffered a stroke a few months back and never really recovered. She is Grampa's older sister and will be missed by many.
Our family trips to Utah were never complete without a visit to Margaret's and Jay's house. Always with a amazing meal included.
Giving the back story to "Favorite Uncle Margaret". At a family gathering many years ago Dadda's two aunts, Margaret and Barbara were each jokingly referring to themselves as Dadda's "Favorite Aunt". Showing the wisdom of Solomon, Dadda then began referring to each of them as his "Favorite Aunt Barbara" and "Favorite Aunt Margaret". This seemed to settle the discussion until Dadda got married and found Mommy had another set of aunts, Margaret and Barbara. Oh, the trials one must face in life.
Margaret became known as "Uncle Margaret" at a Thanksgiving dinner as the former Uncle Jay now known as "Aunt Jay" mistakenly referred to his wife as my "uncle Margaret" in asking a question. Not being the type to pass on such misstep, I asked if he was now my Aunt Jay. She has been "Uncle Margaret" ever since. She was proud to be "Uncle Margaret". She insisted on us using that name in reference to her.
She has a marvelous gift of laughter and kindness that I shall greatly miss "until we meet again"
If I might add one more story of Margaret. We lost a little stillborn girl at 39 weeks. We knew she would not be with us long. She had Potter's Syndrome and would have passed very quickly through this life. We were so lucky to hold her for a few brief hours. My parents came to the hospital and held her also. When Grampa called to tell Uncle Margaret about Rachel she told how she also lost a little girl and she never even got to hold her. The hospital staff took the body and disposed of it. It was one of her few great regrets in life. Margaret cried as she told Grampa how happy she was that we got to at least hold and cherish Rachel for just a little bit.
Our lives have been blessed by her influence and it shall continue through the years by our memories of her example of a faithful and righteous daughter of our Heavenly Father.
3 comments:
Great post. She was obviously well loved.
Hallie
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a great reunion you will have, with all these wonderful people waiting for you!
I never knew about Rachel. So sad! But that showed sensitivity on the hospital's part that they let you hold her and say your goodbyes to her.
So sorry Uncle Margaret didn't get to hold her baby she lost.
Uncle Margaret sounds like a hoot. I'm sure she's stirring things up in heaven with other relatives and friends .. . insisting that people call her "Uncle" ... lol!
Great post.
Sorry I've been absent, my friend! No good excuse ... I just get overwhelmed sometimes even though I don't have THAT much to do. Just the thought of getting all packed up and figuring out the money for a down payment (which we don't have yet) ... just got a lot on my mind. Apparently you do too with family members passing.
Hugs!
Wenderilla
Post a Comment