Last night as Daddy was watching the end of Criminal Minds and Mommy was in the shower, Gracie climbed up on their bed. Gracie has been told not to climb up the headboard, but much like her Daddy in his youth she likes climbing. She reached over to Mommy's lamp and touched the very hot bulb.
She started crying and Mommy sent her to Daddy for comfort. Daddy could tell she was hurting more than normal. As she held her finger crying and shaking her whole body as she described what happened. Daddy looked at her middle finger to find a 2nd degree burn blister. We quickly put ice on it to try to reduce the pain and swelling.
Mommy came to lie down with Gracie as she fought back tears. It would be a losing battle. Daddy never felt as useless as he did last night. Knowing how much and how long it would hurt was unpleasant for her parents as well.
I think I got a very small glimpse into Heavenly Father's life as He must watch us in pain and knowing what He should do for us. It was a sobering evening here at Gracie's
Mommy asked Gracie if she wanted a Priesthood blessing. Through tears she said yes. Not so amazingly she calmed down soon after and settled into Mommy's arms to sleep. Gracie showed an amazing gift for kindness. While she was crying she politely asked for her juice and thanked us for helping her. She even felt it necessary to reach out and give us both kisses for our efforts in helping her.
She has been appropriately named. She truly showed grace last night. Not bad for a 3 1/2 year old little girl.
5 comments:
Awwwwwwwwwwwww! What an awesome story. I mean ... it's terrible that Gracie got burned (not unlike my Hannah who couldn't resist picking up my curling iron even though I had warned her it was hot) ... but so beautiful about Heavenly Father and the similarities to parenting and how it must be for Him. I also thought, at one point when I had to FORCE my screaming infant (long ago) to take tylenol for a fever, how much it must hurt Heavenly Father when WE have to take our medicine ... the only way He must be able to stand it is by knowing that it's what will help us. I'm sure He finds no joy in our pain.
ha! The word verification word is nomeaf ... sounds like no meat ... just made me laugh to see it.
Now ... onto this follower thing. I am completely confused. Do tell ... do you see something different than I see at the top of my blog? I see "be a follower" or something like that ... and YOU see "stop following me" ... ? It had better NOT say that ... and what on earth would I do if you quit following me? I would be quite distraught.
Is it OK that I have my followers posted? I don't know if that is an infraction of blogging etiquette ... a no no? a boo boo? Please enlighten me.
Or just tell me you're kidding, I'll throw hashbrowns at you, and we'll have done with it. lol.
A kiss for Gracie's finger:
mua!
Feel better Gracie!
Sad! When I was working graveyards, Naomi asked me to watch Ethan for like an hour. I was so tired, but I said yes. Of course I fell asleep on the car and he did the exact same thing...stood on a table and touched a lightbulb. He wasn't seriously injured, but he cried so much, and I wanted to cry too because you just can't kiss that pain away. :(
I'm glad she's better!
That is a tender story and a great analogy. Thanks for posting it, Wade. I hope the finger is all better by now.
Post a Comment